Following yesterday’s conference call with the Minister of Agriculture, the Hon Damien O’Connor and Ray Smith, Director General of MPI, confirming that our industry, like other primary sector industries who supply the food chain, are seen as essential services, MPI has provided more detail on its online registration process.
The registration process is to provide MPI with assurances that beekeepers and processors protect staff and the public by limiting interactions and reducing the potential spread of COVID-19.
Here is the link to the registration site. MPI is asking those businesses that meet the criteria to be registered by 5:00pm on Friday 27 March 2020.
Here is the link to an example registration form (Please note this is an example only. You must complete the form on the MPI registration site). We suggest you read this prior to filling out the form online.In the form you must provide your NZBN number – this is your New Zealand Business Number.
Before registering there are a couple of simple questions operators need to ask first:
- Do you have five or fewer people (including the owner) working at each business site?
- Can you achieve social distancing measures between staff in your workplace, including travelling, to and from work?
- If you answer YES to both of those questions, then you do not need to fill in the form.
- If you answered NO to either of these questions, you MUST fill in the form.
- If in doubt, fill in the form.
The Registration website also includes Frequently Asked Questions, as well as more detail about what are essential businesses. You can also contact MPI at 0800 00 83 33 or firstname.lastname@example.org for further details on registering.