FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
• Hive numbers
• Hive registration
• Who a hive belongs to
All New Zealand beekeepers are legally required to register as a beekeeper and register their hives with AsureQuality. Visit www.asurequality.com/our-industries/apiculture/ for more information.
If you would like to find out who a hive belongs to or whether or not a hive is registered, contact AsureQuality at 07 850 2837. AsureQuality can also provide statistics on the number of registered beehives in New Zealand.
The ApiNZ Code of Conduct for our members sets the standard for how our members and industry should operate in a responsible and sustainable way. It is a voluntary code that will be continually updated and adapted to meet industry needs. You can find it here.
We don’t keep a record of jobs or apprenticeships available. The best way to find a job within New Zealand is to contact businesses directly. Here are some other resources:
- You can get in touch with beekeeping clubs and our Hub members for jobs in different areas in New Zealand
- You could also ask about jobs available and check for listings in the tradeBee section of the New Zealand Beekeepers Forum.
- Immigration New Zealand may also be able to tell you more about jobs within the industry in NZ
We do not keep a record of, or recommend, honey suppliers in New Zealand.
You can join by clicking here and paying for your subscription online. Alternatively you can download a printable form and return it via post to: PO Box 25207, Wellington 6146 or scan and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are renewing your membership, an invoice will be raised and sent to you upon receipt of the completed renewal form.
Membership benefits include a subscription to The NZ Beekeeper, weekly updates from the Apiculture NZ CE and discounts to other services.
Please see our Membership Benefits page for more information.
There are different types of membership depending on which sector you belong to.
The sector you belong to gives you voting rights in that sector. If you belong to more than one sector you can either sign up in each of the sectors or pick which one you want representation in.
- Non-commercial beekeeper – fewer than 26 hives
- Commercial – 26+ hives
- Packers and processors – export
- Packers and processors – domestic
- Health products & food manufacturers
- Affiliate industry (stakeholders including landowners, beekeeping supply companies, industry associations and government agencies)
Contact your local council as each council has different bylaws around keeping bees. See our Code of Conduct for guidance.