The Ron Mossop Youth Scholarship in Beekeeping has been established to encourage young New Zealanders who wish to take up a career in the industry and undertake training that supports best practice beekeeping.
Ron Mossop was a leading pioneer in the industry, building a values-based family business focused on integrity and quality. Today, the Mossop family honours those values through the scholarship fund which is awarded annually.
- To educate and support young New Zealanders in learning best practice beekeeping
- To provide an avenue for youth to engage positively in a vocation and gain the opportunity to pursue beekeeping as a full-time vocation.
- To promote a better understanding of the value of honeybees to our environment and to the food chain.
The Scholarship includes:
- $2000 for one year towards an agreed training programme – the funds must be spent to help the recipient further their career in the apiculture sector. For example, the NZ Apprenticeship in Apiculture.
- A one-year ApiNZ membership to the value of $115 (including GST).
- Attendance at the Apiculture New Zealand national conference in the year the scholarship is awarded.
The applicant must:
- Be between the ages of 17 and 25 by February 1st of the current year.
- Be a New Zealand resident.
- Enrol in an approved industry training programme, eg NZ Apprenticeship in Apiculture
- Recipients must allow ApiNZ to publish information on them on their website and in marketing collateral
- Recipients must agree to stay in touch with ApiNZ to update on their achievements
- Recipients must provide proof that the funds have been spent according to the criteria.