▪ 3 egg yolks
▪ 2 tsp of mild liquid light coloured honey like clover, vipers bugloss or rātā
▪ 300mls cream or half cream/half milk
▪ 1 vanilla pod
▪ juice of 1/2 grapefruit
▪ warmed honey for topping
- Set oven to 150 C.
- In a heatproof bowl mix egg yolks and 2 teaspoons of liquid honey.
- Heat the cream and milk with vanilla pod. Bring just to the boil. Then strain the mixture onto the egg yolks mixing constantly. Strain for a second time and pour into ovenproof ramekins.
- Cook the custards in a baking dish filled with water that comes 2/3 of the way up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake for about 35 minutes until they still have a slight wobble. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Pour a thin layer of warmed liquid honey over the top of the custard and caramelize with a blowtorch.
- Serve immediately.