BACKING THE APICULTURE INDUSTRY
Apiculture New Zealand members represent the full range of industry participants, Commercial & Non-Commercial Beekeepers, the Market Sector, Affiliated Clubs and the Supply industry.
We work directly for Apiculture New Zealand members, creating value and opportunity for them.
As a member, you will be part of an association that:
- Represents greater than 50% of all hive holdings in NZ
- Represents over 12000 metric tonnes of exportable bee products
- Is the voice for over 3000 Non Commercial beekeepers via the affiliated clubs
- Employs a full time secretariat, CEO and support staff, based in Wellington
- Is the Industry representative (The Management Agency) for the AFB National Pest Management Plan – representing 8000 beekeepers at Government & Government agency level
- Delivers the largest conference in the industry’s history – 1300 delegates, 135 trade and exhibition stands, international & domestic speakers, workshops and training
We make sure our members have what they need to do business better, supporting a vibrant and sustainable industry that is nationally respected and internationally recognised.
We aim to do that by:
Developing policy and programmes to protect the health of New Zealand’s bees, and ensuring we have strong biosecurity plans in place.
- Opposing the import of honey and bee products from countries of known risk.
- Progressing membership with GIA.
- Coordinating well planned and managed scientific research that is industry-relevant.
We have a research project underway looking at the distribution and typical levels of PAs in NZ honey. PAs are plant toxins found in many foodstuffs, and while we don’t see any immediate concerns with our honey, we want to be well informed and ensure our industry knows how to avoid or better manage the potential risk. Follow the link below for the latest update on this project.